Tuesday, October 05, 2010

The mentally-stimulating Simon Baker

Source : Malay Mail
Date : October 4th, 2010
By Shuhaidah Saharani

Thanks T for the news.

SIMON Baker wooed Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada, played a law­yer in the television series The Guard­ian and a thief in Smith.

This October, Baker will do something even more mind-boggling in ntv7's latest offer­ing - The Mentalist Season 2 - play­ing a psychic-turned detective.

The new season will be aired on the Home of Feel Good every Monday, 8.30pm starting tonight, for 23 epi­sodes.

The Emmy-nominated actor plays Patrick Jane, an independent consul­tant with the fictional California Bu­reau of Investigation (CBI).

Jane has an outstanding track record for solv­ing crimes using both his keen observation skills and his unconventional mentalist abilities.

Together with his team, Jane solves cases weekly but despite all those suc­cessful cases, their biggest one since the first season involving a serial killer called Red John, is still unsolved.

In fact, Jane has a vested interest in catching Red John because his wife and daughter were both murdered by him.

It was also for that reason that Jane decided to join the CBI team to solve various crimes, with the hope of one day bringing the mur­derer of his family to justice.

The team is led by Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney), the head of the inves­tigative unit that employs Jane, whom she barely tolerates, even though it does prove useful.

Other teammates include Kimball Cho (Tim Kang), a down-to-earth agent who is often portrayed as Jane's "right-hand man"; Wayne Rigsby (Owain Yeoman), who is slightly impatient when it comes to Jane and gets easily annoyed as Jane keeps him guessing on his un­conventional methods of solving a case; and Grace Van Pelt (Amanda Righetti) - the latest member in the CBI - whose deep belief in religion and psychics often puts her head to head with Jane.

But does the actor himself believe in magic, the supernatural and psy­chic ability, to which his character Jane is regarded as highly skilled at?

"Well, I mean, what's not to believe in? I believe but I don't necessarily believe in psychics," said Baker.

"Mentalism and psychics are two different things. One's kind of an actual sort of skill, and then one's sort of like a gift, so to speak. Per­sonally, I don't really believe in ghosts. I don't want to believe in ghosts, because if I believe in ghosts I'd probably have night­mares," said the father of three.

Since Baker played Jane so effortlessly, we wondered if this Australian actor shares anything in common with that of his character.

"Yeah. I think I definitely share certain elements," said Baker. "I don't think I have really any of his abilities as far as insight go. I'm about as insightful as a sledgehammer, but I certainly have a subversive sense of hu­mour, and am very often sort of childlike.

"You know, it's sort of a character that I kind of play and filled out in a lot of ways, and often when I do play a character I take certain el­ements of myself and put them in there and accen­tuate them in different ways."

In the second season premiere written by show creator Bruno Heller, Jane and the CBI team learn the shocking news that they are being removed from the Red John case. The case has been assigned to a new CBI team led by Agent Sam Bosco (played by Terry Kinney), who's a thorn in the side of Jane.

The second season also cooks up some romance when Jane and supposed psychic Kristina Frye (Leslie Hope) crosses path again during a CBI investigation, and Rigsby and Van Pelt's relationship heats up, causing a meltdown to their careers.

So can we say that love is in the air for Jane?

"I don't think so. I'm not going to tell you. I can't tell you," he re­luctantly replied.

0 意見: